Media Coverage of Growing Up Boulder
For the most recent academic publications about Growing Up Boulder and related topics, please search ResearchGate or Academia.edu. GUB current and former team members, Victoria (Tori) Derr, Louise Chawla, Willem van Vliet, David Driskell, Debra Flanders Cushing and Mara Mintzer have published numerous articles and books, many of which are referenced on these sites.
Remote classes, postponed intramurals, and closed public institutions, are all posing as obstacles to the social lives of teens. Explore the critical input given by teens on the importance of access to urban green spaces.
Lerato received the Boulder Chamber's prestigious "Women Who Light Up The Community Award" on September 24th in honor of her distinguished leadership and contributions to the Boulder community. Click here to learn more about our award-winning Youth Leaders.
Winter 2021- What Inspires Mara Mintzer, Growing Up Boulder Director & Co-Founder?
GUB's work is inspiring children in Dunedin, New Zealand!
After learning about Growing Up Boulder through an internet search, Iain Cook-Bonney, from Dunedin, New Zealand contacted GUB Program Director, Mara Mintzer in regards to his city's project: Dunedin 2040. Cook-Bonney runs a cluster of nine schools that focus on STEAM learning, Project Based Learning and Digital Collaboration. This year, they are undertaking a joint project called 'Dunedin 2040' in which students tackle issues facing the city over the next 20 years. After watching Mintzer's TEDx talk and per Cook-Bonney's request, Mintzer engaged in an hour-long Q & A session with several hundred Dunedin students, ages 5-13, about how they could contribute to their city's future. In addition, Mintzer updated the children on new projects and updates to the Boulder Civic Area since her 2017 TEDx talk. Watch the interview below!
Video interview of GUB Program Director, Mara Mintzer, by school-age students in Dunedin, New Zealand.
GUB's work is inspiring children in Dunedin, New Zealand!
Child-Friendly City Map coverage:
- TV: Ch. 8: Inside Boulder News- CFC Map Coverage, April 29, 2019
- TV: Inside Boulder- CFC Map Coverage May 17, 2019
- Radio: CPR News interview- CFC Map Coverage on January 23, 2020
- Radio: KGNU interview- CFC Map Coverage on May 3, 2019 "Morning magazine"
- Online: City of Boulder newsroom- CFC Map Coverage, April 30, 2019
- Online: ENVD- CFC Map Coverage, April 29, 2019
- Print: Daily Camera- CFC Map Coverage, April 20, 2019
Mara Mintzer's TEDx talk | How Kids Can Help Design Cities
Other news stories:
- Online: Voyage Denver - Daily Inspiration: Meet Mara Mintzer
- Online: Bloomberg CityLab - There's No Room for Teens in the Pandemic City, 2020
- Online: TED Talk Design Leader on How to Engage Youth, 2020
- Radio: BYU Radio - Kids in Urban Design and Earthrise, 2018
- Online: Sidewalk Labs: Bringing Baby Up Downtown, 2018
- Online: City of Boulder - Second-Graders' Input on the HOP Brings National Recognition, 2018
- Print: June/July 2017 City Newsletter - Young Voices Heard in Boulder - Jane Brautigam, 2017
- Print: Message from the City Manager - Jane Brautigam, 2017
- Online: ICMA Interview with Growing Up Boulder, 2017
- Print: BikeLife Boulder Article, 2017
- Print: Boulder Daily Camera - 11th Street Pedestrian Bridge, 2017
- Print: CU Boulder Today - HOP Transit Study with Whittier Elementary, 2017
- Print: Boulder Daily Camera - Boulder asking for help in developing civic ideas, 2012
- Print: Boulder Daily Camera - Teens invited to share opinions on city, 2010
- Print: Boulder Daily Camera - Growing Up Boulder holds logo contest, 2010
Articles & Podcasts
- A City for All Citizens - July 23, 2013
- ARUP: Cities Alive: Designing for Urban Childhoods - 2017
- Because we are all People: outcomes and reflections from young people's participation in the planning and design of child-friendly public spaces - February 19, 2016
- Children's Perceptions of and Engagement in Urban Resilience in the United States and Mexico - July 31, 2017
- Effective Youth Voice, 2015 - June 11, 2015
- Great Green Neighborhoods, featured on the Designing with Children website produced at the University of Sheffield, UK. - 2014
- Green Grounds for Play and Learning - 2015
- Growing Up Boulder: Boulder's Child-Friendly City Initiative, Colorado Municipalities - August 2019
- GUB Profile in CU's Continuing Education Magazine - 2015
- Helping Students Cope with Environmental Change and Take Constructive Civic Action - Feb 1, 2020
- Honoring Voices, Inspiring Futures: Young People's Engagement in Open Space Planning - 2016
- How participatory processes impact children and contribute to planning - June 21, 2015
- Integrating Young People's Perspectives - May 21, 2015
- NPR Cities: Urban Life In The 21st Century
- Participatory Schoolyard Design for Health and Well-Being - March 14, 2016
- Reinventing libraries for "hanging out, messing around, and geeking out" - June 2, 2014
- 8 80 Cities: Building Better Cities for and with Families - August 13, 2018
The Child in the Cities' Website features articles about Growing Up Boulder and other child friendly cities initiatives and related research from around the world:
- Kids First: What's Good for Kids is Good for Cities - March 4, 2015
- Child Friendly Cities Add Value to Resilience Planning - November 3, 2015
- Parks for Teens: 10 Features Teens Want to See - December 2, 2015
- Young People’s Perspectives on “15 Minute Neighborhoods” - December 15, 2015
- Children Seek Greater Access to Nature - January 20, 2016
- Five Applications of Photovoice as a Method for Children's Participation - February 2, 2016
- Immigrants, Refugees, and the Power of Play in the Planning Process - February 18, 2016
- Assessing participatory processes for child-friendly cities - March 17, 2016
- Walking Laboratories: Young People's Experience of the Street - April 28, 2016
- Louise Chawla's Perspectives on Children's Participation - Then and Now - July 8, 2016